Willetton Basketball Stadium
The brief, as determined by Willetton Basketball Association was based upon a feasibility study and business case which required the following elements:
- 4 court expansion, doubling its capacity to 8 courts for multi-use sports; including basketball, netball, volleyball and badminton
- Function facilities for up to 200 patrons with bar and serving kitchen on the first floor
- New entry reception/café area/kitchen
- 4 multi-use change rooms/toilets with universal access for wheelchair basketball
- New storage areas
- Meeting rooms for multi-use community sporting and community groups, offices for administration staff
- Sponsors gallery and seating for up to 700 spectators for viewing State Basketball League and exhibition games
The exiting stadium has been running beyond capacity for many years, with satellite halls in use to cater for the demands of the area. The expansion will ensure a central location for all activities providing a more efficient operation.
The design of the complex has transformed the existing centre. With new works fronting the major approaches to the centre from Burrendah Boulevard, the centre has emerged with a renewed and invigorated presence. The redesign incorporates new external forecourt immediately adjacent to the entry to the complex providing a place of assembly for social interaction for those using the centre and for patrons of the Burrendah sports precinct. The local authority has enthusiastically endorsed this philosophy, with all parties now actively discussing the final design of the forecourt to maximise the benefit to the broader community.