The Brief, as determined by the Client, was to add existing facilities adjacent to the existing Leisure Centre and to make upgrades to some existing facilities. The works included:
- 4 new combined netball/basketball courts contained in a new extension to the existing centre
- 1 of the new courts was required to serve as the home court for the Stirling Senators in the State Basketball League. As such, the flooring, scoring, spectator seating and players facilities were required to meet the League standards
- New changerooms, showers and toilet facilities
- New gym and fitness centre to be leased to commercial gym operator
- Refurbishment and expansion of the centre administration and management offices
- Relocation and upgrade of cafe and seating
- Relocation and upgrade of creche
The existing Stadium is surrounded by a protected Bush Forever zone. As such, locating the large floor area required as part of the extension was a challenge. Discussions were held with all relevant parties to ensure the placement of the expansion would not affect the surrounding bushland and, at the same time, not compromise the overall design. In the end a well-considered design addressing the corner of Warwick and Wanneroo Roads created a new focal point and identity for Warwick Stadium.
During the alterations and additions, the existing facilities had to remain in operation and it was important existing programmes were not affected by the work. To ensure this, careful planning and staging of the work was required; constant communication with the Builder and the Client was required to ensure everyone was aware of the current progress of the work.
Regular construction meetings were held where programme, budget, changes and savings were discussed. This constant communication with all parties enabled significant savings to be made during the construction process which enabled the Client to add the refurbishment of the Stirling Senators club office, allied health, the fitout of the fitness club and new seating furniture into the scope of work.